How do I cancel a previous print job on HP Printer
During the issuance of printing services, there are times when we need to cancel print job mostly because either it has been placed accidentally, or the print settings are mistaken. For an HP printer-based service, the process to cancel a previous print job is fairly easy and straightforward. To cancel a previous print job, please follow the steps below. To make it easier for you to follow, we have divided the process into 3 parts for three different devices/operating systems.
Cancel a previous print job while using Windows OS or Mac OS:
To cancel a previous print job while using a Windows operating system, please follow the steps below:
- Look for the icon that corresponds to Printing Queue in your taskbar’s notification area located at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- If the icon is displaying, then double-click to open the printing queue window.
- If the icon does not display, then use the search bar on the taskbar and type Printers and scanners. Select and open the respective window and select your printer from the displayed list. Then click on Open Queue.
- In the Printing Queue window, right-click on the ongoing job and select
The process is the same for Mac OS. The only difference is that the printer icon will be displayed in the dock on your Mac OS.
Cancel a previous print job through Android OS:
To cancel a previous print job through Android OS, please follow the steps below:
- Swipe down from the top corner and go to the notifications area on your phone.
- The print job will display in the notification area with the cancel
- Tap Cancel to cancel the print job.
Cancel a previous print job through iOS:
To cancel a previous print job through iOS, please follow the steps below:
- First, please open the App Switcher on your phone. If you have a home button on the phone, tap it twice to open the app switcher. If your phone doesn’t have a home button, swipe upwards from the bottom of the screen to open the app switcher.
- Swipe left and then select the Print Center
- Select the print job you wish to cancel and then hit Cancel Printing.
What to do if a print job is stuck in the printing queue:
In certain cases, a print job may get stuck in the printer queue. This job cannot be canceled or deleted by normal methods and halts all the print jobs pending in the queue. The option to Cancel the stuck print job does nothing.
Such problems can be fixed by the following methods.
Using HP Print and Scan Doctor:
It may be possible that your printer is not responding properly. By using HP Print and Scan Doctor (Link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe) you can fix the connectivity and hardware issues in your HP printer.
If this application doesn’t fix the issue, please proceed to the next option.
Delete job files and then restart the printer:
- Turn off the printer and then detach the power plug from the power outlet.
- Use the search bar in the Windows taskbar and search for
- In the Services window, look for the option Print spooler and then click on
- Open the File Explorer and go to the location: C:Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS
- Delete all files present in the PRINTERS
- Turn on the printer. Then restart your computer and try to give a new print order. If this doesn’t fix the issue, then we have to reinstall the printer driver.
Reinstall printer drivers
- If your printer is connected through a USB cable, please disconnect it.
- Go to http://123.hp.com/ and type your printer model. Then look for the respective driver and proceed to install.
- Once the installation is complete, restart the computer. Try to issue a new print order.
The above steps will help you if your print job is stuck in the printing queue.