Having a respectful history of strong protection and ease of access, McAfee has always grabbed the attention of masses. McAfee’s powerful User Interface and ease of integration in any app, be it a browser, a cloud-connected app or a multiplayer gaming session, is indeed worthy of praise. Due to the extensive resources available in McAfee Antivirus, you can always rest assured that you are protected from all corners, 24×7. In this tutorial, we will be guiding you on installing McAfee Antivirus on Windows operating system.
How to install McAfee Antivirus:
Please note- for installing McAfee Antivirus, you need to uninstall any existing McAfee Antivirus installation and restart your computer. This can be easily done by searching for Add or Remove Programs from the Search bar in the Windows taskbar and uninstalling McAfee Antivirus and any relevant apps. You need to restart the machine after the uninstallation process is complete.
Installing McAfee Antivirus:
Installing McAfee Antivirus is a fairly easy process. You need to log in or register on their official website and opt for the trial version of their Antivirus software. If you need to upgrade the Antivirus, then you may purchase a license for McAfee Antivirus or Total Protection suite from their official website.
- First, go to the McAfee official website by clicking here: https://www.mcafee.com/en-us/antivirus/free.html
- Select your region from the top-right corner of the top bar and then log in to your account. Click on Account right next to Region and then select Sign In.
- Type in the username and password of your registered McAfee account and log in.
- Under My Apps, select McAfee Antivirus Trial edition.
- Under Protect All Your Devices, click on the Download
- A serial number may be provided for activating McAfee after installation. You need to note it down carefully.
- After the download is complete, open the installer and run it. Follow the on-screen procedures to install the McAfee Antivirus Trial edition.
- Your McAfee antivirus should be installed. Restart your machine after full installation is complete.
- If you need to upgrade your Antivirus trial edition, then please login to McAfee and choose your plan from their products’ list. They offer both standalone Antivirus and Total Protection suite from their website. You may purchase either one of them at an affordable price.
Troubleshooting McAfee Antivirus and McAfee Total Protection
My Antivirus or Total Protection suite is not working as expected. Its User interface appears broken or continually auto-exiting on opening the app.
This issue may be associated with accessibility to the active Protection area. Please try the following steps to solve the issue:
- Right-click McAfee antivirus icon from the system tray area.
- Choose the option Change Settings and click View All Settings.
- Select the option Access Protection and untick Use Access Protection. If the Access Protection is already deselected, you may ignore this.
- Click Apply and then close the Antivirus window.
- Open McAfee Antivirus and click on Navigation.
- Click General Settings and Alert, go to Access Protection and select Use Access Protection.
- Click on Apply and close the McAfee Antivirus window.
On restarting the computer after successfully executing the steps above, your Antivirus should start working properly.
Unable to install after downloading McAfee Total Protection or McAfee LiveSafe
There may be instances when the installer exits abruptly after clicking on it. It displays the message: Installation incomplete In such a scenario, you should follow the steps below:
- Make sure that your PC meets the minimum requirements for the desired app.
- Download the Pre-Install tool from here: http://download.mcafee.com/products/mvt/tools/Preinstall/consumer/Pre-Install_Tool.exe
- Execute the setup process. Make sure to go through the warning message. After that, click on OK to accept the changes.
- After the Preinstall tool completes, restart your computer.
- Open Command Prompt as the administrator.
- After the prompt, type in the command: net user administrator /active: yes
- Close the command prompt and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL by using the keyboard.
- Click Log Out or Sign Out from Windows.
- Sign in again as the administrator of your operating system. It may take additional time for the sign-in process to complete.
- Download the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool or MCPR from here: http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp
WARNING: The MCPR may remove all the existing McAfee installations and associated data from your computer because they may conflict with the installation.
- Install the MCPR utility. If a UAC warning message is displayed, click on Yes to run.
- Continue with the McAfee software removal process. You must agree to the End User License Agreement (EULA).
- The software will be removed after following the on-screen process. Once this completes, you must restart your computer.
- Now, attempt a fresh installation of McAfee Total Protection or McAfee LiveSafe.
If you are still unable to install the software, you have to reach the customer care department for McAfee. Here at Support24x7, we offer consistent and top-notch services in resolving software issues during the installation process.